Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The New York City Bar Association Building (& Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra)

So, last night (October 3, 2006) I attending the Mediation Kickoff because I have decided that I want to pursue Mediation and Dispute Resolution as my long-term career path. I attended the Kick-off with the Equal Employment General Counsel for the Parks Department. He is my second boss, as I am an Equal Employment Opportunity Counselor on top of working in the Special Counsel’s office handling affirmative claims.

(This is the entrance to the building - after Ifiguredd out the night setting)

The Kickoff was held at one of the most beautiful buildings in midtown: The New York City Bar Association Building. Located in the heart of Manhattan on West 44th Street, just off of Fifth Avenue on "Clubhouse Row", The Association of the Bar of the City of New York offers a dignified and elegant atmosphere.

(This is the Seymour Room. )

(They had it right open. Icouldn'tt take a picture but it was just beautiful and impressive.)

Built in 1896, the House of the Association, which is listed in the National Register of Historical Sites, recalls the grandeur of an earlier era and is an important New York City Landmark. Within this traditional setting, modern services make it possible to accommodate groups of five to 450 in our conference rooms, reception area and stately meeting hall.

(This was the "Reception Hall," the room in the building that held the Kick-Off)



During this event, I was introduced to the General Counsel for AAA (Triple-A) and many other top lawyers for nationwide companies. Ricardo Granderson, the EEO Counselor for Parks, took me under his wing and introduced me to many of his colleagues that he works with outside of Parks. (This is a shot of the Meeting hall to the left)




I believe mediation is the path that has been intended for me and I plan on attacking it full force. You will hear more about this as I intended on making it a huge part of my life. In the meantime, enjoy these beautiful pictures of the intimidating rooms, the elegant architecture and the lavish interior design. (This is the Davis Room to the right)



I did not take the picture of the inside as I was not allowed, but I did attempt to take pictures of the outside and after figuring out the setting on my camera got a few pictures of the outside showing the entrance of the building haha. I hope one day to make this building something of a home.

(Crappy night setting pictures.)

(Hopefully you can see the Associationn of The New York Bar" Title somewhere in there)



----------------------------------------------------

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra is an excellentindependentt group that is based in the heart of Brooklyn, NY. I have known of them for years but never knewtheirr background until I was able to indulge myself more intheirr music after moving here. There are over 14 members in the group -- including Latinos, whites, African-Americans, Africans, and Asian-Americans.

There are horns and bass, polyrhythmic beats and funky breaks, and furious lyrics in English, Yoruba and Spanish. The live show is equal parts sweat-drenched bacchanalia and political rally. "Their frequent Afrobeat parties get off on the good foot and stay there for hours," exclaims the Village Voice. Antibalas has opened for James Brown, No Doubt, Wyclef Jean, Trey Anastasio and more. CHECK THEM OUT!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home