Friday, August 18, 2006

Caminosur Resturant (& The Garden State Soundtrack)

Last night, August 17th, 2006, I went out to eat with Christine, the wonderful woman who has lent me her apartment for the next few years. We dined at Caminosur while reviewing the terms of our lease agreement.

http://www.caminosur.com/

Caminosur is a magnificent South American Cuisine restaurant located on 336 West 37th Street. (Near the Port Authority)

Upon entering the restaurant you are immediately greeted with a warm low-lit area with gold hues. There is a simple décor of calm colors and comfortable furniture. The tables are situated a bit close together for my taste but without to much distraction and no music (at least I can’t remember any music and that is the first thing that I pick up in any location) it is easy to focus on your partner (s). Below, the waiting area.

Before the meal began we were served a very interesting pepper-bread in a beautiful woven basket. As a spread for the bread, we were presented with (what we think is) a sweet potato paste. I forgot to inquire about the spread but it had a very interesting bland flavor in the beginning and then toward the end of the taste a flavor crept up that I couldn't put my finger on. I will have to go back and investigate this flavor more :)


I had the Ceviche de Salmon, which consisted of salmon, guava, red onion and orange.

The guava, red onion and orange actually made up a salad, which was phenomenal. As a side dish, there were plantain chips, which are a kind of weird banana fried thing. Not to fond of them but it looked great. The salmon was presented beautifully at an angle on top of the salad and the plantains rested on the side. The juices from the salad complimented the salmon exquisitely.

Christine had the Hamburguesa grilled ground brisket with mahon cheese and panca grilled portobello mushrooms.

This dish came with a healthy portion of homemade potato fries. However, she refrained from the mushrooms on the burger. There were simple touches to the presentation of the dish that I really enjoyed. The typical hamburger-with-fries dish came with a miniature gourd cut in half, which held a serving of ketchup for her burger. The mayonnaise was spicy but absolutely delicious and I would love to know the recipe.


The decor was calming, soothing and relaxing. The booths and chairs were comfortable and the food was delicate and filling but not to heavy.


The presentation, as I previously mentioned, was beautiful and the serving size was relatively decent for the price.

Their wine selection was scarce but the Malbec was very nice. It was a hearty red wine, which Christine enjoyed.


Overall, this restaurant is a perfect place to take the ladies for a first date or any date for that matter. It’s elegant but not too outrageously priced. It is lit low and seems to be a great place to relax with a glass of wine with some friends after work. I will soon find this out and let you all know :) I would also suggest it for anyone who plans on seeing a broadway show around that area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I have to say that the Garden State Soundtrack is one of the better soundtracks to come out of the movies today. I freaking dig Thievery Corporation hard core so that right there makes it all worth while. Then you have Nick Drake who is a well known unknown who I shall mention later in my notes and you should just go check out right now! Zero 7 is another one of the goodies but unknowns right now. They are just interesting. I think I will mention them in another blog sometime as well.

Frou Frou’s "Let Go"is just a song with good lyrics. Beauty in the breakdown is kind of sexy and just a fun way to tihnks about things. Builds you up and explodes. I love that in a song. Got to love the humble little whisper in the beginning also. And HELLO!!! Simon and Garfunkle? Well, come on – that right there says it all.

The first two CD I ever received were Mariah Carey’s Heart Shaped Box from my parents and Simon and Garfunkle’s Bridge Over Troubled Water. We all know which one I put in first and we all know what kind of music is nearest and dearest to my heart.

Here is the line of songs you need to download right NOW!

Coldplay - Don't Panic
The Shins - Caring Is Creepy
Zero 7 - In The Waiting Line
The Shins - New Slang
Colin Hay - I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You
Cary Brothers - Blue Eyes
Remy Zero - Fair
Nick Drake - One Of These Things First
Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde
Simon and Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy In New York
Iron And Wine - Such Great Heights
Frou Frou - Let Go
Bonnie Somerville - Winding Road

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home